Sunday, August 1, 2010

I heard that pills taken to cure nail fungus may cause liver damage,?

has anyone know someone who has taken e.g. lamisil , ketoconazol, etc.I heard that pills taken to cure nail fungus may cause liver damage,?
Well, almost all drugs can affect the liver. The liver and the kidneys are the two organs responsible for detoxifying the blood. I am using the term ';toxic'; loosely. Drugs can strain the ability of the liver to detoxify the blood, which can cause liver damage. It is true that antifungal medications taken orally has a greater risk of causing damage to the liver than compare to aspirin or ibuprofen. But, they are relatively safe. You mentioned you have a fungal infection in your nails. Fungal infection of the skin can be treated with topical antifungal cream. However, there are two exceptions, infections involving hair follicles and infections to nail beds. Both of these exceptions require taken the medication orally rather than topically. The reason is simple, topical medication can not effective reach in to hair follicles and nail beds. In addition, there are certain drugs which you can not take while you are on the antifungal medication. For example, Claritin (allergy medication) can not be taken while on antifungal medication. As always, talk to your doctor about the risks and benefits of treatment. Also, inform your doctor if you experience any side effects from the medication.I heard that pills taken to cure nail fungus may cause liver damage,?
Yes, before you get the prescription, the dr should do a simple blood test, you should only get 6 weeks of medicine, then do another blood test and get the last 6 weeks. I've been on it twice now - about 10 years apart - and have not had any problems.
It is a rare side effect, but serious enough that it needs to be followed with blood tests.


My mom took Lamisil with no problems at all and it worked great for her.
That is most definitely true...you're supposed to have your liver checked ever 6 months if you're on these drugs
YES... that's true
I already have liver damage, so when I was faced with fungus too I took some drastic steps but not the meds. I placed a drain stopper(plug), a box of salt, and a bag full of dried eucalyptus leaves next to my shower. Everytime I took a shower I put the plug in, dumped a half cup of salt and a half cup of the eucalyptus leaves and then took a long shower, allowing the water to soak my feet. I took a while....at least 6 months but it did work. Salt and eucalyptus are both anti-fungial. I tried to stay in the shower at least 10 minutes at a time. Also, always wear fresh socks and trade shoes everyday. Never wear the same shoes two days in a row. Spray your shoes with Lysol after each wearing.





Clean feet and shoes is the key to beating this fungus!


Good luck!
I had foot fungus for 20 yrs and nail fungus for 5 yrs, went to all kinds of doctors, no help, finally told my GP and asked for Lamisil


Hooray! finally help! did the first round about 2 yrs ago and all cleared up except for 1 nail, then did another treatment last year and all is clear both times had to do bloodwork before and after


taking medication
go to makers web site.they should have complete list of uses,precautions,and contraindications of the drug
That would be correct.


They test liver function first before giving the pills, or at least they should.


It is a rare side effect, but one that must be taken in to consideration.
  • skin
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment